State & Regional

Updated: December 05, 2015

Man chokes to death while eating birthday dinner

By Zach Dennis

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

A man celebrating his 57th birthday at Ted’s Montana Grill in Estero, Florida died after choking on a bison steak.

>> Read more trending stories  

Christopher Russ went with his landlord and her father to the restaurant looking for a steak dinner, the News-Press reports. Francine Ryan, Russ’ landlord, told the News-Press that when she realized Russ was choking she began hitting Russ’ back while another man gave him the Heimlich. When that wasn’t working, she said she began to perform CPR on him before the medics arrived.

“When he turned blue and gray … you just know. I knew there was nothing you could do,” she said.

She said Russ had mentioned being “given a clean bill of health” from the doctor the month before. “I’m afraid now to eat,” Ryan said. “I’m going to be very careful."

Read more at the News-Press.

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.